Amazing Kale Salad with a Smoked Honey Vinaigrette
Ready to jazz up your salad life? This amazing kale salad with a smoked honey vinaigrette is loaded with nutrients and packed with flavor! With simple ingredients that are easy to prep, you’ll never eat a boring kale salad ever again!
Amazing Kale Salad Ingredients
Massaged kale is one of my favorite salad and grain bowl bases because of its nutrient density and tenderness. By adding a little bit of olive oil, salt, and lemon juice, the leaves become much less bitter and more tender. You could also use other lettuce bases for this recipe, like spring mix or spinach!
This recipe is inspired by a salad at one of my favorite restaurants in Baton Rouge – City Pork. When I first made it at home, I just felt like it was missing something. That something was the “grain/starchy veggie” that I typically include when creating meals. While I prefer the texture of cooked quinoa, feel free to experiment with other whole grains – like farro!
I always include a high-quality protein source in my meals. Since this salad has some additional sources of fat added – I prefer to choose a lean protein like skinless chicken breast. There is a lot of flavor in the added toppings, so I keep it simple here. Try some lightly seasoned baked chicken or pulled rotisserie chicken.
How can you go wrong with adding a sprinkle of creamy goat cheese to a salad? I’ve also enjoyed this dish with some crumbled blue cheese.
Radish is a seriously underrated veggie (in my opinion!). It doesn’t have a strong flavor, but it adds a pop of color, a crunchy texture, and not to mentioned some additional nutrients. I typically add some thin sliced radish to all of my salad bases.
Adding some toasted nuts adds another layer of texture and flavor. Try toasted sliced almonds, chopped walnuts, or chopped pecans!
Pickeled Red onions
Did you know pickled red onions are easy to make at home? Try this recipe for quick pickled onions from How Sweet Eats. It’s so simple!
Smoked Honey Vinaigrette
If you don’t have Basic Bee Honey in your kitchen – you are SERIOUSLY missing out. I love adding these unique honey products to glazes, marinades, and salad dressings. You might as well snag a bottle of the bourbon honey too…because you’ll want to make my air fried salmon with simple bourbon honey glaze next!
Amazing Kale SaladPrint Recipe
- 1 serving massaged kale recipe below!
- 0.5 cup cooked quinoa
- 3 oz cooked chicken breast
- 0.5 oz goat cheese
- 1 tbsp slivered almonds
- 2 small radish sliced thin
- 1 tbsp pickled red onion
- 2 tbsp Basic Bee smoked honey vinaigrette recipe below
- Layer salad with all ingredients. Adjust portions if needed to match taste preferences and/or intake goals
- If preparing ahead of time for meal prep, keep the dressing on the side until you're ready to eat!
Massaged KalePrint Recipe
- 16 oz chopped kale I get a 1lb bag of fresh chopped kale; sub 2 bunches if needed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 wedge lemon
- Remove any large stems present in kaleIf using fresh bunches, wash and pat dry, remove large stems, and cut into bit sized pieces
- Add kale to a large bowl
- Drizzle olive oil, salt, and lemon juice
- Using (clean!) hands, rub the kale to evenly distribute olive oil, salt, and lemon juice
- Store in airtight container in fridge and use as a base for salads and grain bowls
Smoked Honey VinaigrettePrint Recipe
- 0.25 cup Basic Bee smoked honey
- 0.5 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp black pepper
- Whisk all ingredients together
- Pour into a resealable glass jar or containter
- Store in fridge
- Shake or mix well before each use