Easy Breakfast Casserole – Protein & Veggie Packed
Try this easy breakfast casserole for your next breakfast meal prep or weekend brunch and start you day off with a nutrient dense meal. I love pairing this egg casserole with roasted potatoes or oatmeal for a meal balanced with a source of protein, grain/starch, and color!
Ingredients in Easy Breakfast Casserole
I prefer to use a mix of 12 whole eggs and 12 egg whites in this recipe to help increase the protein content while being mindful of calories from fat.
Adding cottage cheese is a MUST to avoid a spongy texture. I use a low-fat cottage cheese and highly recommend blending it prior to mixing into your egg base. I blend my cottage cheese in my Ninja Food Processor.
Traditional salt and pepper work great, but I find there’s something extra delicious about adding some Cajun seasoning to eggs!
Be creative here! I typically use Jimmy Dean’s turkey sausage patties that I buy in bulk from Sam’s club. Any breakfast meat (or cooked protein in general) would work great. Try different varieties with bacon, ham, deli turkey, etc. I have a nutrition coaching client that loves cooking ground turkey for some extra protein in this dish!
My favorite veggies to add in a breakfast casserole are bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, or spinach. I like picking at least two veggies to add more vitamins and minerals to this dish.
While I typically use cheddar cheese in this recipe, my other favorites are swiss, gouda, and feta!
Make my easy egg casserole into a balanced meal
Balanced Meal Inspo
If you love this recipe, try my easy meal prep egg bites for another on-the-go breakfast, snack, or lunch option!
Easy Breakfast CasserolePrint Recipe
- 1 tbsp butter
- 0.25 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 medium bell peppers any color, chopped
- 8 Turkey sausage patties or other breakfast meat, chopped
- 12 large eggs
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese blended
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning optional or to taste
- 4 cups spinach chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Spray or grease a 9x13in baking dish
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat
- Add onions and bell pepper to skillet – saute until tender
- Chop turkey sausage or breakfast meat and add to skillet with veggies to brown, remove from heat
- Chop spinach into desired size*I prefer to let the spinach cook in the oven…but you could add this to the veggie + meat mixture to wilt after removing from heat (it will cook FAST!)
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs + egg whites + blended cottage cheese + seasoningUse salt and pepper to taste in place of Cajun seasoning if desired
- Add veggie + meat mixture + spinach + 1.5 cups of shredded cheese to eggs – mix well
- Transfer egg mixture to baking dish
- Top with remaining shredded cheese
- Bake for ~30-35 minutes or until eggs are set & no longer jiggle!