Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Thighs – with Meal Ideas
With only 6 ingredients, this recipe for slow cooker BBQ chicken thighs is a simple option for a flavorful protein to add to meals during the week! My favorite way to enjoy this protein is in a BBQ chicken quesadilla paired with veggies and my cilantro avocado dip!
Ingredients needed for slow cooker bbq chicken thighs
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Meat Church Honey Hog BBQ seasoning blend
- BBQ sauce
- Apple cider vinegar
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Sliced onions
First, season your chicken and place it evenly in your slow cooker pot. Next, mix the bbq sauce, apple cider vinegar, and hot sauce (if using). Pour the BBQ sauce mixture evenly over chicken thighs. Finally, evenly spread the sliced onions on top. Seal and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
Once done, remove chicken thighs from the juices and gently shred. Last, add back ~1 cup of the drippings to the chicken so that it stays moist when storing.
Can I make this recipe with chicken breast instead of chicken thighs?
I’ve made this recipe successfully with chicken breast and pork tenderloin as well! If you do decide to use a leaner cut of meat, I suggest adding 1/2 cup of broth to the BBQ mixture so that the meat is submerged in liquid. You will have more drippings left over after cooking.
I also recommend cooking very lean protein only on the low setting in a slow cooker (and never on high!). Cooking chicken breast and pork tenderloin on high tends to be more dry. Give it the extra time – it’s worth it!
What if I don’t have the Meat Church Honey Hog seasoning blend?
Well then, you are missing out my friend!!! My husband and I received a pack of the Meat Church seasoning blends for Christmas, and I have fallen in love with this product! As a lover of all things honey…the honey hog seasoning has become my go-to blend for grilled & BBQ flavored meat! It is DELISH in this recipe!!!
You are more than welcome to use your favorite seasoning blend. Or you could keep it simple with some salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder. You should get a good BBQ flavor from the actual BBQ sauce added, but I can’t promise that it will be as good as the original recipe! 😉
Meal ideas using slow cooker bbq chicken
- BBQ plate
- Chicken served with potato salad and roasted veggies
- BBQ tacos
- Heated corn tortillas with chicken topped with a sprinkle of black beans, corn, red onion, and sliced avocado
- BBQ sandwich
- Whole wheat bun with chicken topped with simple coleslaw and served with a side salad
- BBQ salad
- Mixed green base with chicken, quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, red onion, and light ranch dressing
- BBQ quesadilla
- Whole wheat quesadilla stuffed with chicken, mozzarella cheese, and shredded cabbage and/or + veggies & dip
For another incredibly easy and flavorful slow cooker protein, you have to try my slow cooker carnitas recipe…and DON’T forget the mango avocado salsa!
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken ThighsPrint Recipe
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs 6-8 pieces
- 1/4 cup Meat Church Honey Hog BBQ seasoning or seasoning of choice
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp hot sauce optional
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- Place chicken thighs in slow cooker pot and season generously
- Mix together bbq sauce, apple cider vinegar, and hot sauce
- Pour mixture evenly over chicken
- Spread sliced onions evenly on top
- Cook on high for ~3hr or low for ~6hrInternal temperature should reach 165F
- Once cooking is finished, remove chicken thighs from juices and shred lightly
- Add ~1 cup of the leftover drippings to keep chicken nice and juicy when reheated
- Use 1/2 cup of shredded meat in a BBQ quesadilla (my favorite!), in tacos, on a salad, or served with BBQ sides