Homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola
Simple ingredients, crunchy clusters, and a delicious peanut butter chocolate flavor. This homemade peanut butter chocolate chip granola is the BEST topping for your next yogurt bowl!
I’ve tried several homemade granola recipes in the past, but always ended up with two main problems: soft clusters or a pan of what looked like toasted oatmeal. Meh – not what I was hoping for! In this post, I’m sharing my tips for making crispy, crunchy granola and my favorite recipe!
Most Important Ingredients for Homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola
This is the base for your homemade granola. I used rolled oats since buy my oatmeal in bulk from Sam’s. If you want bigger clusters, I recommend pulsing the oats a few times in a blender or food processor to have a mix of larger and smaller pieces
Don’t skip this ingredient!!!!! If you’re not aware, honey is all-time favorite sweetener and one of my favorite overall flavors. I was pretty bummed when I realized it probably wasn’t the *best* sweetener to get the crispy texture that I was going for in this homemade peanut butter granola. I swapped my typical honey for some granulated sugar, and let me tell you…these thangs CRUNCH!
If you want some big, hunky clusters (and a little big of protein!)…this is a must. Without the egg whites, my oats just kind of separated into their own individual flavored pieces. I give them a good whisk before mixing them in with the other ingredients so it’s easy to combine.
A must. Of course. I recommend choosing a natural peanut butter. I love Crazy Richards crunchy peanut butter in this recipe! Natural peanut butters tend to be a more fluid texture…and since the ONLY ingredient is peanuts…my pup Cookie gets to lick to spoon!
Chia seeds are included for a little bit of extra fiber, but you could certainly leave this ingredient out if you don’t have any. I also love adding in some vanilla and cinnamon for flavor…but it’s not necessary either. Make sure to add your chocolate chips at the end so that they don’t create a mess while mixing during the cooking process. Speaking from experience here. I also like to add a sprinkle of sea salt on top!
Make it a balanced meal or snack
My favorite way to enjoy this granola is in a yogurt bowl. A cup of greek yogurt paired with a serving of this peanut butter chocolate chip granola will give ya ~30g protein!
For another creative way to use oatmeal…check out my simple apple crisp.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip GranolaPrint Recipe
- 0.5 cup peanut butter creamy or chunky
- 0.5 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large egg whites whisked
- 2 cups oatmeal dry, rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon optional
- 0.25 cup chocolate chips
- 1 sprinkle sea salt optional
- Preheat oven to 300F
- In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, sugar, and vanilla
- Whisk the egg whites and stir them into the peanut butter mixture
- Add the oats, chia seeds, and cinnamon to the peanut butter mixture
- Stir until fully combined
- Add peanut butter oat mixture to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Spread the mixture into a thin, single layerI place another sheet of parchment paper on top of the mixture and spread with a rolling pin or by hand. Remove parchment paper before baking
- Bake in a single layer for 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and use a spoon to break the layer into your desired chunks…make sure there is still an even layer and some room in between chunks (see photo!)
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes
- Stir all of the pieces for even cooking. Add chocolate chips…but do not stir or they will melt and get messy!
- Bake for a final 10-15 minutes until slightly golden brown
- Remove from oven, top with sea salt…and allow to cool completely without mixing
- Store in airtight container