In a few simple steps, you can make a nutrient dense, lasagna style meat sauce to serve over pasta. These loaded veggie lasagna bowls are a new staple in my own meal prep rotation!
Ingredients in loaded veggie lasagna bowls
I choose to use a lean ground beef (90/10 or 93/7) when making this recipe to help keep the total fat content moderate. When we add additional sources of fat (like cooking oils and cheese), those calories from fat can creep up! If you prefer a different ground meat – like ground chicken or turkey – go for it!
A little bit of salt, fresh garlic or garlic powder, and Italian seasoning blend is all ya need!
My favorite veggies to add to pasta sauce are carrots, zucchini, and spinach! However, get creative and add whatever you think would be tasty! Maybe yellow squash or eggplant?
I’ve made my own sauce as well as used “jarred” sauce in this recipe. While I do prefer the taste of a fresh, homemade pasta sauce…I’m also a big fan of convenience. So I opt for a jar of sauce here – worth it to me!
If you want to make your own sauce…try tossing 2lb of cherry tomatoes, 1 quartered onion, and 3 cloves of garlic with 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and 1 tbsp minced garlic. Spread evenly on a sheet pan and roast at 400F for 20-25 minutes. Pour into a medium sized bowl and pulse or blend with immersion blender. I LOVE using herb-infused olive oils in pasta sauce and when making salad dressings – this basil infused olive oil is my favorite!
Choose part-skim or reduced-fat cheese products when cooking to help reduce the total fat content without sacrificing too much texture.
I don’t add pasta directly to the lasagna style meat sauce, but I do prepare it on the side and include it with my meal!
How to Hide Extra Veggies
While I personally like the additional texture from the chopped veggies in this recipe…you could definitely be sneaky and hide them. Try (carefully) grating or even blending them into the pasta sauce so they’re less obvious in the dish!
For another easy meal prep recipe with ground meat, try my Mongolian Beef bowls!
Loaded Veggie Lasagna BasePrint Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb 93/7 ground beef
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 1 medium carrot diced
- 25 oz pasta sauce 1 jar
- 5 oz spinach 1 small bag
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta 1 container
- 2 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella
- Pre-heat oven to 375FIf you are making pasta for this dish, you might want to get started on a pot of boiling salted water now too!
- Add a drizzle of cooking oil to a large/extra-large skillet over medium/medium-high heat
- Brown 2lb of lean ground beef, breaking apart while cooking
- Add seasoning: salt, garlic, Italian seasoning blend
- Add diced zucchini and carrots. Cook several minutes until slightly tender, stirring frequently
- Add jar of pasta sauce and bring to a simmer
- Slowly add in spinach by the handful and mix well to wilt
- Transfer the mixture to a 9x13in baking dish. You could also proceed using the same skillet if it is oven-safe
- Scoop small spoonfuls of ricotta evenly on top of meat sauce
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is fully melted
- Serve over pasta and enjoy!