An easy meal prep recipe that the whole family enjoys? Sign. Me. UP! This simple Mongolian beef meal prep recipe is a client and family FAVORITE!
I’m pretty sure this is one of my very first recipe “wins.” I spend a lot (a. lot.) of time testing out different meals and recipes that are simple enough to meal prep, and tasty enough to want to eat over and over! The first time I tried this one…Greg said, “Yep – you can make this again.” Success! Now it’s pretty much in my lunch or dinner rotation for meal planning once a month.
While every stage of my own nutrition journey wasn’t a breeze (read more here!), meal planning & prepping is a habit that has ALWAYS helped me be more successful with my own goals. I’m just going to let a thought from one of my favorite books, Atomic Habits by James Clear, do the talking for me – make the decision that is in line with your goals JUST as easy as the alternative. Having tasty food on hand stops me from grabbing the takeout menu, so that means meal planning & prepping makes it easier for me to WANT to eat from home.
Mongolian Beef Recipe Details
My take on Mongolian beef blends the flavors of toasted sesame oil, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and brown sugar. This recipe calls for a few simple ingredients, and the actual cooking process is a breeze. If you’re not too comfortable in the kitchen…this one’s for you! While I refer to this as a “meal prep” recipe, you could easily adjust the portions to have minimal leftovers if that’s your kinda thing. Although…I do always encourage cooking “more” if you’re going to cook in the first place!
Not a beef person? No worries. You could easily swap that out for some ground turkey or chicken. We complete this meal with some rice and steamed broccoli. If you want to finish a round of meal prep in 30 minutes, try cooking in this order:
- Start your rice
- Cook the Mongolian beef – btw…if you don’t have a ground meat chopper, order one ASAP!
- Right after you add the soy sauce/brown sugar, pop a bag of frozen broccoli in the microwave – we usually do a new bag each night
I hope that you enjoy this recipe just as much as we do. Happy meal prepping, friends!
Meal Prep Mongolian BeefPrint Recipe
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 lb lean ground beef (90/10 or 93/7)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 0.25 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 0.25 cup low sodium soy sauce increase to 1/2 cup for stronger flavor
- 0.25 cup brown sugar, unpacked increase to 1/2 cup for stronger flavor
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 oz water
- Heat toasted sesame oil in a large skillet
- Add ground beef, breaking apart while browning
- Mix in garlic, ginger, and optional red pepper flakes
- When beef is fully cooked, add soy sauce and brown sugar & stir to combine
- Cook an additional ~3-5 minutes
- Mix cornstarch with a splash of water and add it to the beef mixture
- Stir until thickened
- Remove from heat and serve!
- Consider topping with sesame seeds and sliced green onion