This simple steak salad recipe is hidden with some delicious and wholesome ingredients like my light blue cheese dressing and homemade sourdough croutons.
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Steak salad recipe with light blue cheese dressing
The inspiration for this meal comes from my many visits to Outback Steakhouse growing up. If you’ve ever had their blue cheese wedge…then you get it. This is so special to me because it’s one of my dad’s favorite salads, and now I can finally make it for him! As with any copycat recipe, I like to take a look at the nutrition facts (on the first page under “soups and side salads”) and give them a bit of a recomposition to be lower in calories and balanced in macronutrients.
Choose any salad mix or green you’d like as your base – a wedge of ice burg, romaine, spring mix, spinach, etc.
I prefer to use a leaner cut of steak here, like sirloin or flank. Cook on the stove to your desired doneness with a small amount of butter or oil and a simple steak seasoning – or with just salt and pepper!
Light blue cheese dressing
The recipe below for my light blue cheese dressing is deeeeelish! This also makes a fantastic drizzle on a buffalo chicken pizza or a dip for wings or veggies!
A little nutrition comparison:
- 2 tablespoons of a traditional blue cheese dressing has ~120 calories from 13g fat, 1g carbs, and 0g protein.
- 2 tablespoons of my light blue cheese dressing has ~45 calories from 3g fat, 1g carbs, and 3g protein.
blue cheese crumbles
Homemade sourdough croutons
You could absolutely use store bought croutons on your salad. Y’all know I’m here for some convenience. This is simply a way for me to use some leftover sourdough if needed and keeps additional ingredients controlled and simplified.
To save additional calories from excess fat, choose a turkey bacon or center cut pork bacon.
For another lower calorie dressing…try my honey mustard on your next salad!
Steak and blue cheese saladPrint Recipe
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 4 oz cooked sirloin steak seasoned to taste and cooked to desired temperature
- 2 tbsp light blue cheese dressing
- 0.5 oz blue cheese crumbles
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup homemade sourdough croutons
- 1 tbsp red onion
- 1/2 small tomato or cherry tomatoes
- 1 slice turkey bacon sliced
- Assemble salad and adjust ingredients and portions to desired taste preferences and/or nutrition needs
Light blue cheese dressingPrint Recipe
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk greek yogurt
- 5 oz blue cheese one package or ~1.25c crumbled
- 1/2 lemon juiced use 1 whole lemon for some extra tang!
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 2-4 tbsp water more if desired
- Add all ingredients except water to a food processor and blend until smooth*If you like a chunky blue cheese, reserve 1/4 cup of blue cheese crumbles to stir into the smooth dressing
- Slowly add water to thin (more if needed) until desired consistency
- Transfer to an airtight container or jar and store in fridge for up to 1 week
Homemade sourdough croutonsPrint Recipe
- 16 oz sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp italian seasoning more if desired
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Slice sourdough into small piecesI try for ~1/2inch cubes
- Add sourdough to a large bowl and top with olive oil and seasonings
- Mix well to evenly coat
- Transfer to a half or full baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Spread pieces into 1 layer with space in between pieces
- Bake for 15-20 minutes totalAfter an initial 10 minutes – flip or toss croutons for even baking and return to a single layerI bake for the full 20…but start to pay attention around 15 minutes so they don't burn!
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before storing
Did you make this recipe?
Mention or tag me on social media @lifeisgoldin so that I can see! You can also leave a comment or review below!