Enjoy the comfort of chicken pot pie with more protein, more veggies, and less excess calories from fat when you make my recipe for the best high protein and loaded veggie chicken pot pie.
Ingredients in The Best High Protein and Loaded Veggie Chicken Pot Pie
I prefer the flavor of butter to sauté veggies for chicken pot pie, but a cooking oil like olive or avocado oil should work just fine.
I used 1 whole yellow onion, 2 cups each of fresh diced carrots and celery, and 1 cup of frozen peas. I like to use similar ingredients between meals during the week to reduce food waste and meal prep efficiently. For example, I used the leftover celery + carrots as a side with my buffalo chicken meal. If you don’t plan to use all of the carrots and celery, it might be a good idea to choose a frozen, pre-cut option over fresh for this recipe.
This recipe includes cooking fresh, raw chicken breast. You could certainly use a pre-cooked option like pulled rotisserie chicken or leftover slow cooker or pressure cooker shredded chicken. If you choose to use a pre-cooked option, I would add it in with the frozen peas before baking since it is already cooked.
You will need flour to make a light roux and help the filling to thicken. Without flour, the filling will be too runny!
I like to season pot pie with minced garlic and dried spices – oregano, rosemary, thyme. I’ve included my measurements for salt, pepper, and a pop of heat from some cayenne pepper. I encourage you to adjust portions for salt and pepper to your taste preferences, and omit the cayenne pepper to reduce the spice if desired!
Unlike traditional pot pie recipes that might use heavy cream in the filling, this recipe uses a mix of mainly chicken broth with some reduced fat milk. The milk adds a little bit of creaminess without the excess calories from fat in heavy cream.
I have made this recipe with numerous toppings. To save time, I have always used pre-made, store bought options. For example, you could use a pre-made pie crust, puff pastry, or a small can of biscuits. In this recipe, I slice the puff pastry before topping to help with serving more even portions. When I use biscuits, I like to cube them into bite sized pieces before topping!
This specific recipe transfers the filling to a baking dish. However, this is also a great one-pan recipe if you have a large skillet, like my 12in Lodge Cast Iron skillet. Once the filling has simmered and thickened, add your desired topping and bake at the suggested temperature on the package until golden brown.
High Protein and Loaded Veggie Chicken Pot PiePrint Recipe
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cups carrots diced
- 2 cups celery diced
- 1.5 lb raw chicken breast cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1.5 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregno
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp pepper
- 0.25 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 sheet puff pastry or pie crust or a small can of biscuits
- Pre-heat oven to 400F *or the temperature suggested on the packaged of your desired topping
- Take out your frozen puff pastry to begin thawing
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add onions, carrots, and celery – saute until onions are translucent
- Push veggies to the side of the skillet and add chicken breast to the empty portion of the skillet
- Cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally so that all sides turn white
- Sprinkle flour over cooked vegetables & stir to create a light roux – mix in the chickenAdd a splash of the chicken broth if needed – it will be thick!
- Pour remainder of chicken broth + milk into skillet and stir until combined
- Add seasoning + frozen peas – mix well
- Bring to a simmer for ~5 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally
- While filling is simmering, prepare puff pastry*I like to cut my puff pastry into 6 pieces to help with serving even portions.
- Transfer filling into 9x13in baking dish. Top with puff pastry slices.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until puff pastry is golden brown