This recipe for the best shredded BBQ chicken comes together in a flash. Pair it with some roasted potatoes and broccoli for a simple meal prep, or get creative and use it as a protein source for sandwiches or BBQ quesadillas!
Ingredients in the best shredded BBQ chicken
My recipe for the best BBQ chicken is definitely a dump & go style recipe. My favorite! All you need is chicken breast, a medium onion, BBQ seasoning, red pepper flakes (optional), your favorite bbq sauce (I love Kinders Hot BBQ Sauce!), and some chicken broth (or water). I clearly like spicy BBQ chicken – if you want less heat, omit the red pepper flakes and choose a mild BBQ sauce.
You’ll simply add all of your ingredients to your pressure cooker and let it do it’s thing. If you prefer to use a slow cooker, simply adjust the timing to 3-4hr on high or 6-8hr on low. When it’s finished, shred your chicken and add however much of the BBQ mixture you need to help it stay moist. I would start with 1-1.5 cup and add from there if needed. When serving, top with some additional BBQ sauce for alllllll of the flavor!
While the chicken is cooking, I’ll usually work on my sides. There are so many different ways to use pulled BBQ chicken. You could eat it with broccoli and potatoes, on a bun with a side salad, or in a BBQ quesadilla!
Make shredded BBQ chicken a balanced meal
Use my meal planning tips to create a balanced plate with my recipe for shredded BBQ chicken:
Balanced Meal Inspo
If you enjoyed this recipe, then you NEED to try my fiesta chicken next!
Pressure Cooker BBQ ChickenPrint Recipe
- 2-2.5 lb chicken breast I used 4 pieces
- 3 tbsp bbq seasoning I used Bad Byron's Butt Rub
- 0.5 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups bbq sauce
- Place chicken breast in pressure cooker pot
- Add: bbq seasoning, red pepper flakes, sliced onion, chicken broth, and BBQ sauce
- Stir to combine*After mixing, I pick up my chicken breasts and settle them on top of the onions to prevent charring while cooking.
- Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes, allow 5 minute natural release
- Remove chicken from BBQ mixture and shred in a large bowl
- Add BBQ mixture to chicken to help it stay moistStart with one cup and add more as needed. If you add all of it…it will be too much!
- Add to your meal & top with additional BBQ sauce
Slow cooker adjustments
- You could adjust the timing if using a slow cooker. Try high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours. You want the chicken to be fully cooked and shred easily.