What’s the best thing about a taco salad when you go out to eat? The flaky taco salad shells of course! These baked homemade tortilla bowls are a healthier version compared to the traditional fried tortilla used in taco salads at restaurants.
Level up your taco night and fill these crispy taco bowls with some nutrient dense ingredients and your favorite toppings!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to make homemade crispy tortilla bowls for taco salads
This crispy baked tortilla shell is the perfect addition to your next round of homemade taco salad bowls!
- Oven-safe bowls
- Large flour tortillas – I use Mission burrito sized flour tortillas
- Cooking spray
Directions for baked tortilla bowls
Complete this process with however many tortilla bowls you wish to make at once!
Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 350F
Step 2: Spray your oven-safe bowls with cooking spray
*Learn from my mistakes…do not skip this part or else you won’t be able to remove your bowl!!!! 🙂
Step 3: Place your burrito sized tortilla on top of the oven-safe bowl. Working your way around the edges, gently press and fold the sides of the tortilla to pleat the tortilla evenly into a bowl shape. The bottom of the bowl will be on top – we’re baking them upside down!
*Since you’ve sprayed the bowl…this can part can be a bit tedious. Do your best to hold the tortilla in place as you take your time creating the taco bowl shape.
Step 4: Firmly press and hold all edges around the bowl for several seconds at a time so that the shape sticks.
*Some parts release when cooking…but the room temperature tortilla should start to hold its shape as you work your way around the bowl
Step 5: Give the outside of your tortilla a quick coat of cooking spray
Step 6: Carefully transfer the tortilla bowls to a baking sheet.
Step 7: Bake on the middle rack for ~20 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
*20 minutes is the perfect timing for my oven.
Step 8: Remove from the oven and allow to cool for ~10 minutes. Use tongs to gently remove the shells when cooled.
*The glass dish will still be hot when you remove your tortilla bowls…so be careful!
Step 9: Fill your bowl with your delicious taco salad ingredients and ENJOY! 🙂
Build the best homemade taco bowls at home
Using my meal planning framework of protein, grain/starch, color, and flavor…mix and match your favorite ingredients to create your own balanced taco bowls at home!
Taco meat: ground beef, ground turkey, chicken, or shrimp seasoned with taco seasoning
Taco bowl shell, black beans, refried beans, corn, rice
Romaine lettuce, bell peppers, onions, fresh tomatoes
Salsa, cheddar cheese, sour cream, black olives, red onion, cilantro, salad dressing
My favorite taco salad ingredients and toppings are:
- Taco bowl shells
- Romaine lettuce
- Meal prep taco beef
- Fajita peppers and onions
- Shredded cheese
- Jalapeno avocado ranch dressing
Try my fiesta chicken recipe for another protein option to add to taco salads and burrito bowls!
Taco salad with baked shellPrint Recipe
- 1 baked tortilla bowl
- 1 cup romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup bell pepper and onion mix
- 2/3 cup meal prep taco beef
- 2 tbsp black beans
- 2 tbsp corn
- 1 tbsp shredded cheese
- 1 tbsp salsa
- 2 tbsp jalapeno avocado ranch dressing
- Adjust ingredients to desired portions to meet hunger, nutrition, and/or performance needs.
Baked tortilla bowlsPrint Recipe
- 1 large flour tortilla burrito sized
- cooking spray
- Pre-heat oven to 350F
- Spray your oven-safe bowl(s) with cooking spray*Don't skip this step!
- Place one burrito sized tortilla on top of each oven-safe bowl. Working your way around the edges, gently press and fold the sides of the tortilla to pleat the tortilla evenly into a bowl shape.The bottom of the bowl will be on top – we're baking it upside down!
- Firmly press and hold all edges around the bowl for several seconds at a time so that the shape sticks
- Give the outside of your tortilla a quick coat of cooking spray
- Carefully transfer the tortilla bowl(s) to a baking sheet
- Bake on the middle rack for ~20 minutes or until slightly golden brown
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for ~10 minutes. Use tongs to gently remove the shells when cooled.
- Fill your bowl with your delicious taco salad ingredients
Meal prep taco beefPrint Recipe
- 3 lb 97/3 ground beef or lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1/3-1/2 cup taco seasoning start with 1/3 cup and add more if needed
- 16 oz tomato sauce 1 can
- Pre-heat a large skillet on the stove over medium heat
- Cook ground beef until no longer pink, breaking into pieces and stirring occasionally while cooking
- Add seasoning and tomato sauce and combine well
- Simmer for ~5 minutes or until thickened and combined
- Remove from heat and serve immediately or allow to cool before storing in an airtight container in the fridge
Jalapeno avocado ranch dressingPrint Recipe
- 1/2 cup whole milk greek yogurt
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 medium jalapeno seeds removed
- 1 medium lime juice from
- 2 tbsp ranch seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 2-4 oz water adjust to thin to desired consistency
- Add all ingredients except water into a food processor and blend until smooth
- Add water 1 oz at a time and blend until desired consistency is reached
Did you make this recipe?
Mention or tag me on social media @lifeisgoldin so that I can see! You can also leave a comment or review below!